ukddwxmk


  • 3 to face Judge, jury over murder of Corentyne man

    first_img…victim’s mother expressed delightA Corentyne, Berbice mother has expressed delight over the committal of a businessman, his son and another man for the 2017 death of her son, who was killed, and his body burnt.There were verbal clashes between the mother and the businessman’s wife after the trio was committed to stand trial in the High Court.Last Monday, Magistrate Charlyn Artiga committed Bharrat Ramsaywack, 43, a block maker of Number 55 Village; his son Prem Ramsaywack, 17; and Mohanlall Sewsankar, 20, a labourer, who worked with the block maker to stand trial before a Judge and jury for allegedly killing Mahendra Ghanie, of Bloomfield, CorentyneIndranie Seenauthbetween October 2 and October 4, 2017.The bones of 21-year-old Ghanie was found in a shallow grave with burning coconut shells next to a cemetery at Number 55 Village, close to Ramsaywack’s fence.It had been reported that the trio offered Police a confession statement stating that Ghanie was struck on his head with a piece of wood rendering him unconscious. They then reportedly dragged his body and dumped it in the shallow grave. It was then set afire.The men after checking and found that the body was not destroyed, burnt it again in another shallow grave, the Police said.They had earlier accused Ghanie, who worked with the block maker, of stealing a goat. Magistrate Artiga committed Bharrat Ramsaywack to stand trialDead: Mahendra Ghaniefor murder, while his son and Sewsankar were committed to stand trial for being accessories to murder.After the court found that there was sufficient evidence to commit the trio to standtrial in the High Court, Defence Attorney Mursaline Bacchus, who represented the younger Ramsaywack, argued that he could not be tried in the High Court for murder since the evidence suggest that he allegedly assisted to dispose the body.The ruling was then that the two be tried for being accessories to murder.Following the ruling, Indranie Seenauth, the mother of the dead man, said that she is elated knowing that she is getting justice for her son’s death.“I feel a little better but I still lost my son,” she said.“The mother of Prem Ramsaywack came downstairs and she talking to me and my daughter could hear that we can’t see we son but she could see she own. I start to cry and feel real bad because I lost my son and I can’t get him back but I leave everything in God’s hands,” she said as she broke down in tears.last_img read more

  • Cabinet to deliberate on allegations of misconduct against AG

    first_imgDirector General of the Ministry of the Presidency, Joseph Harmon, has indicated that Cabinet will be looking into allegations of misconduct against Attorney General Basil Williams, which has reportedly resulted in at least 19 lawyers resigning during the course of four years.Attorney General Basil WilliamsThe allegations were compiled in a letter and were addressed to members of the Government. The letter revealed that 19 lawyers have resigned from the Legal Affairs Ministry since 2015.In the document, the employees called for a thorough probe into the operations of the Ministry. On Thursday, the Director General told the media that the issue is yet to be addressed at the level of Cabinet.“This is something that just recently came out and so Cabinet would not have had an opportunity to deliberate on that. I’m not prepared to make any further statement on it until such time that Cabinet would have actually deliberated on the matter,” he stated.According to staff who reached out to Guyana Times, lawyers in the Attorney General’s Chambers have to contend with a difficult and even toxic and abusive working environment.Director General of the Ministry of the Presidency, Joseph HarmonPointing to the large proportion of cases being lost by the Chambers in the courts, the employees recommended an investigation into claims of mismanagement and bad legal advice being followed.Some of those lawyers who departed the Chambers include former Registrar and Solicitor General, Sita Ramlall, who was forced to move to the High Court last year over her pension and gratuity being withheld; and former Deputy Solicitor General, Prithima Kissoon, who sued for wrongful dismissal.The Attorney General had come in for harsh criticism previously for his comments about Kissoon, with commentators bashing the manner in which he dealt with the matter.In a letter to the Editor published in local newspapers in 2017, the former Deputy Solicitor General’s father, prominent Attorney Jailall Kissoon, pointed out that this is the first time in legal history that an Attorney General has levelled such a blast of terror and fear upon the Judiciary or his own legal officer.“The fallout from this scurrilous blast has radiated its tremulous fear through the spinal cord of the entire body of the Judiciary in Guyana and elsewhere,” he pointed out.According to the senior Kissoon, there are recorded documents in court to support that the ruling against the State-sponsored appeal was a pure stream of justice flowing uninterruptedly; that is, until it was polluted by the Attorney General in an article published in the State-owned Guyana Chronicle newspaper.“Your prejudiced perception is that the Chancellor, together with applicant Bharrat Jagdeo, his Attorney-at-Law, Mr (Mursaline) Bacchus and the Deputy Solicitor General Prithima Kissoon, all of common ethnicity, caused the Attorney General and the Editor to fall in the dark mud of malice and partiality that Jagdeo must receive the benefit from the court unjustly. But the law does not recognise skin colour, the law is the law,” the Attorney penned.He went on to say that, “the Attorney General, who has such legal wisdom and foresight, ought to have seen the unholy conspiracy of the bench and Bar and should have appeared in person, as leader of the Bar, filed his Affidavit in Answer, argued his case as a legal luminary and eminent counsel and crushed the Applicant’s case to smithereens.”last_img read more

  • PVEA produces report showcasing benefits of the Peace River

    first_imgThe Peace Valley Environmental Association has come out with a report showcasing the benefits of the Peace River Valley.The report was produced by Chillborne Environmental and states that the Peace River Valley is worth more environmentally and socioeconomically to the province intact, than flooded to produce electricity.Brian Churchill helped to produce the report and says the last report like this was done over 30 years ago. [asset|aid=1614|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=5f477cd7099c40caf7babf3f3e58fba9-Brian – 1_2_Pub.mp3]- Advertisement -The report covers the four main benefits of the river valley; the agricultural land, the wildlife corridor, hundreds of archeological sites and climate change issues.The Peace Valley Environmental Association and the reports producer have long been against the Site C Project. Churchill believes this report will educate residents. [asset|aid=1615|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=5f477cd7099c40caf7babf3f3e58fba9-Brian – 2_3_Pub.mp3]To read a full copy of the report visit www.itsourvalley.caAdvertisementlast_img read more

  • Prince George RCMP Asking For Help In Locating Missing 12 Year-Old Girl

    first_imgPRINCE GEORGE, B.C. – Prince George RCMP are asking for the public’s help locating a missing 12 year-old girl.Tyrah Rossetti has been missing since Monday. On Monday, at around 1:30 p.m. Prince George RCMP received a call of a missing 12 year old.The girl is said to have walked away from Peden Hill Elementary School on Westwood Drive.- Advertisement -She was last seen walking towards the Pine Centre Mall area.Tyrah Rossetti is described as:·       Metis femaleAdvertisement ·       Last seen wearing black leggings, pink shoes and a distinctive navy blue Peden Hill Elementary school grad hoodie with a large “16” on the back. If you have any information, you are asked to call Prince George RCMP at (250)561-3300 or contact Crime Stoppers at 1(800)222-8477. ·       170 cm (5’7″)·       66 kg (146 lbs)·       Long brown hair·       Brown eyesAdvertisementlast_img read more

  • Lille 0-0 Everton: Drab draw sees Toffees maintain Europa League Group H top spot

    first_img1 Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard Everton remain in the Europa League Group H top spot after playing out a dull goalless draw at Lille.Roberto Martinez’s men weren’t at their best on a poor Stade Pierre-Mauroy pitch, with chances for both sides at a premium, though the Spaniard will surely be pleased with a well-earned point.Martinez made six changes to the Premier League side which beat Aston Villa 3-0 at the weekend, with Samuel Eto’o, Aiden McGeady, Steven Pienaar, Muhamed Besic, Sylvain Distin and Tony Hibbert coming into the side, while top striker Romelu Lukaku was rested on the bench.There was also an international debut for Ross Barkley – who suffered a cut to the eye and played most of the first-half with a Terry Butcher-style bandage round his head – but despite welcoming the 20-year-old back to fitness there was a distinct lack of quality in the final third.In truth, fans were forced to sit through a drab opening 45 minutes, with each team recording only one shot on target.Everton were immediately on the back foot from the off, but low-scoring Lille – with the French side having only netted 13 times in 16 games so far this season – failed to convert their chances as Marko Basa headed narrowly wide from Sebastien Corchia’s dangerous cross.The hosts kept coming forward in the early stages, with Idrissa Gueye seeing a piledriver shot drift just wide of the post, while Ronny Rodelin missed with an audacious attempt at an overhead kick.Everton’s best opportunity, meanwhile, came after veteran defender Hibbert played a neat series of passes with McGeady before the Irish winger let fly, but his tame miss-hit shot was straight at goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama.Lille maintained their tempo after the break but still failed to really test Tim Howard in the Toffees’ net, with on-loan Liverpool forward Divock Origi proving a constant pest with a series of darting runs down the wing.The 64th minute introduction of Lukaku quickly turned proceedings in Everton’s favour, though, with the striker immediately involved but again Martinez’s men were unable to carve out a clear sight of goal, while Howard had to be quick off his line to snuff out Origi’s advances on the counter-attack.The game was there for the taking in the final 15 minutes and Everton were close to claiming a late win when clever play from Besic allowed Eto’o space to shoot, though the forward’s spectacular drive curled just over the post, with the teams seeming to settle for a share of the spoils.It was a decent point for Everton, though, as the result leaves them still sitting top of Group H, however they’re only one point clear at the summit at the half-way stage after Wolfsburg won 4-2 at Krasnodar.last_img read more

  • Toilet house is flush with features

    first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The toilet theme is central to the house named Haewoojae, or a “place to solve one’s worries,” shaped like a 24 -foot-tall toilet bowl. A showpiece bathroom at the center of the 4,520-square-foot house is on display through a floor-to-ceiling window made of glass that turns opaque at the touch of a button. When guests enter to do their business, a motion sensor activates classical music. SUWON, South Korea – Sim Jae-duck has made his political career as South Korea’s Mr. Toilet by beautifying public restrooms. Now he’s got a home befitting his title: a toilet-shaped domicile complete with the latest in lavatory luxury. Sim is building the $1.1 million two-story house set to be finished Sunday to commemorate the inaugural meeting later this month of the World Toilet Association. The group, supported by the South Korean government, aims no less than to launch a “toilet revolution” by getting people to open their bathroom doors for the sake of improving worldwide hygiene. Organizers argue the issue deserves greater attention and cite U.N. figures that some 2.5 billion people live without proper sanitation or water supplies. Sim, a lawmaker in the National Assembly, hopes his house will help bring attention to the cause and is seeking a guest to pay $50,000 to stay one night with the proceeds to benefit the association. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

  • TRANSFER ALERT! Benfica sign Arsenal forward on five-year deal

    first_img The 19-year-old failed to make a Premier League appearance during his time in England 1 Arsenal’s 19-year-old forward Chris Willock has joined Benfica.The England Under-19 international, who has not made a Premier League appearance for the Gunners, has moved to the Portuguese side on a five-year deal.“I hope I can show what I can do on the pitch. I think we have a great team and we can achieve great things in the future,” Willock said on the Benfica website.last_img

  • GOVERNMENT MUST CONFIRM A5 ROUTE – McCONALOGUE

    first_imgDonegal North East TD Charlie McConalogue has appealed to the Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar to clearly state his position in relation to the A5 dual carriageway and reaffirm his commitment to the project.Deputy McConalogue’s comments follow reports that Minister Varadkar’s has instructed the National Roads Authority to shelve major road projects for National Primary and Secondary routes in Co Donegal.Deputy McConalogue said: “Donegal has been particularly badly hit by Minister Varadkar’s reported decision to scrap several major road projects nationwide. “The N14 Letterkenny to Lifford and N15 Lifford to Ballybofey/Stranorlar and the Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass are strategic links between North Western Donegal particularly from Letterkenny through Northern Ireland to Dublin.“The previous Government committed €580 million to a roads investment package for Northern Ireland which would contribute to the upgrading of the A5 road from Aughnacloy to Derry to dual-carriageway status.“We have already spent approximately €9 million on this project.  This investment cannot be in vain.  I am asking Minister Varadkar to reaffirm his commitment to this project.“The 19km stretch of the N14 Letterkenny to Lifford road is integral to the development of the North West, particularly from a road safety perspective. “This road, along with the other projects in the county, should be considered in a wider regional access context.  The Minister’s recent decision has thrown a question mark on the A5 project, which is a crucial infrastructure project for the entire North West region.“I want Minister Varadkar to clearly explain his Government’s position on this development, and outline in full their commitment to funding the project to ensure it is delivered on target for 2015.”No-one from Fine Gael was available for comment.GOVERNMENT MUST CONFIRM A5 ROUTE – McCONALOGUE was last modified: August 10th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:A5 projectdeputy charlie mcconalogueletterkennyLiffordlast_img read more

  • OWNERS PAY TRIBUTE TO STAFF AS McELHINNEYS SCOOP TOP FASHION AWARD

    first_imgMcElhinneys receive their award in London!McElhinneys Department Store has been awarded Independent Department Store of the Year UK and Ireland at the Drapers Independents Awards.Martin McElhinney collected the prize at a prestigious event held in the Brewery Hotel in London this evening, Wednesday 17th September. It was the last award of the event as it is the most coveted and sought after award at the event.The Drapers awards winners are chosen by a panel of judges, most of whom are former winners, so the best fashion retailers in the country select the next generation of the best fashion retailers in UK and Ireland making it all the more special. The Oscars of the fashion retailing sector, the annual awards recognise the best fashion retailers in the UK and Ireland. McElhinneys beat off tough competition from many large retailers to be nominated as finalists, throughout the UK and Ireland.McElhinneys ability to continually adapt and react to the fast changing world of retail and fashion has ensured the success of McElhinneys Department Store. The launch of the website www.mcelhinneys.com in November 2012 has cemented their reputation as a true innovative and forward thinking retailer on a global scale.A lot has changed since the store won the award back in 2003, but a few things remain the same – like the exceptional customer service, the teams commitment to bring the people of the North West the most diverse and unique collection of Irish and International brands with exceptional value.John, Eileen and Martin McElhinney have expressed their sincere joy and excitement at winning the award. John says “It is testament to the team that has worked at the store over the last 43 years, this award is dedicated to them and all the hard work and dedication. A huge thank you to all our customers for their support and best wishes.”  OWNERS PAY TRIBUTE TO STAFF AS McELHINNEYS SCOOP TOP FASHION AWARD was last modified: September 18th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

  • DANCE IN AID OF DONEGAL’S SPECIAL OLYMPIC ATHLETES

    first_imgA special fundraising dance will be held tonight in the Villa Rose Hotel in Ballybofey in aid of the Donegal Special Olympics Team.Tonight’s dance takes place in the Villa Rose in Ballybofey.The Donegal team have been chosen to represent Ulster at a competition in Limerick and proceeds from the night will go towards the cost of the trip.Doors open at 9pm and the cost of the tickets is just €5. There is also the chance to win much sought-after tickets for Garth Brooks’ upcoming Croke Park concerts. DANCE IN AID OF DONEGAL’S SPECIAL OLYMPIC ATHLETES was last modified: April 11th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DANCEDonegal Special OlympicsVilla Roselast_img read more